Smart (Business) Ideas - Forward to friends, please...

I share here high-return, low-risk Marketing & Sales ideas: the goal is to generate more profit for your business, with no risky downside. As I am trying to build traffic, I'd appreciate if you could forward this page to your friends (smartideas.blogspot.com). Thank you !

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Ask, and you shall receive

This post will touch on personal development, without any intent of moving into the realm of Anthony Robbins or any other personal motivators.

I read the good book “The Aladdin factor” and I was immediately interested by the quote from W. Clement Stone: “If there is something to gain and nothing to lose by asking, by all means ask”.

This also connects to the biblical advice “Ask, and you shall receive”: which, to me, it means (among other things) that if I want something, I’d better start asking for it…

How does this connect to our marketing ideas? Well, I personally experienced several time how businesses lose potential revenue simply because they don’t ask for more sales.

For example: when we go to change the oil of the car or we get our lawn mowed, seldom we got offered a yearly subscription to the service

Sir, I just finished to mow your lawn, as agreed. It’s cut at the desired length and it makes your yard look like a million bucks. It’s 35$.

Now, as in one month the grass will be high again, I can give you the opportunity to enroll in my subscription program: for the cost of 10 months, you get 12 monthly services to your yard, the day you decide. It’s only 350$, and you save 70$

I did a very unscientific survey with some friends that just got their grass mowed by a neighborhood one-man company: if they were offered the deal, they would have taken it.

Think about that: just asking for more business (with a decent proposal, of course), it raises dramatically the chances of getting it.

What if your dentist offered you a yearly whitening service subscription? What if the carpet cleaner asked you if you were interested in a steam cleaning too? What if your dry cleaner asked you if you had shoes to repair?

Along this line, I admire this shop at the S. Jose airport, that eloquently ask for more business right there on the price sign:

IMGP2082

So many opportunity untapped out there: as Einsten said in my previous post, “Imagination is more important than Knowledge” (link to post here)

Mau in Austin

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can attest to the yearly subscription for a service being a wonderful moneymaker. As a chimneysweep I used this method to make the business more year 'round rather than having one very hectic season. Having the van at the customer's home also raised awareness in the neighborhood and created more business.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Mau said...

dear Anonymous,

thank you for your comment: I love it.

The van is also a very good idea: ehi, maybe we'll talk about it in a specific posting.

Have a prosperous week,

Mau in Austin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home