Smart (Business) Ideas - Forward to friends, please...

I share here high-return, low-risk Marketing & Sales ideas: the goal is to generate more profit for your business, with no risky downside. As I am trying to build traffic, I'd appreciate if you could forward this page to your friends (smartideas.blogspot.com). Thank you !

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Do you want a chocolate bar with your gas (part 2 of 2)?

The button would print an instant coupon with a discount on chocolate bars, candies, hot dogs etc, valid for just 5 minutes (this would exploit the Scarcity principle that Dr. Cialdini describes in “Influence” and in this article). What is the worst that can happen? The person would not walk in the store… big deal… He/she is not walking in the store anyway… so, there is only upside to this.

I can hear people asking “But how about the margins on chocolate and hot dogs?”… hmm, quick fix: just raise the price of the items by the discount you will provide… people don’t normally remember how much a Sneaker bar costs (quick, how much did you pay the last one you bought? Was it cheaper than at the station on the other side of the street?). The important thing is not to touch staples like milk and bread, as the interesting article “Mind your Pricing Cues” (link) on Harvard Business Review, explains.

The same principle for a car-wash 5-minute-valid discount. Ehi, probably just one person out of 20 (5%) washes the car: what if we could raise the percentage to 10% with a situational, time limited, mind-blurring, decision-altering, time-limited coupon (wow, what a long sentence…)? It’s free money in the bank… the washing apparatus has been bought anyway, best is to use is as much as possible.

And how about an instant coupon for windshield wiper liquid? I would love that: I always forget to buy it… a coupon would propel me into the store.

And a fresh bottle of Gatorade? Maybe “Gatorade + sneaker bar” at reduced price…

Bottom line: the Situation Permission that a gas station has can be elegantly leveraged to solicit more business from the clients, with low risk and good potential for extra, free profit.

Mau in Austin

6 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't charge more for the candy bar, more than likely they will walk in for the candy bar and then buy something else as well. Raising the price to offset the coupon is just mean.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Mau said...

dear Anonymous,

why is it mean? Are we sure that restaurant that give us a coupon don't do the same? And the bottom line is that the market forces will be at work: if the client feels it's not worth to buy the candy, he/she won't ...

I do agree that they will buy something else : my point on the price was to satisfy readers with extreme worries on gross margins for candies.

Thank you for your comment !

MAu

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, mean was the wrong word, deceptive is more like it. I am an consumer, and I don't like being deceived into thinking I am getting a good deal when I am not. I beleive you can offer true discounts and still make money. If you frequent a restaraunt you will know if the coupon price is is a good deal or not. If it is your first time, you don't know. If I come in because of a coupon and like the restaraunt then the coupon was effective for creating a regular customer, point taken. Do you have readers worried about gross margins on candy sales? I imagine they are making a hefty profit already on candy. Have you been to the movies lately? Then you know the profit is in the concession stand, not the ticket sales.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mau said...

Anonymous,

point taken.

Thank you again for taking the time to contribute: if you are around Austin, I will be happy to invite you for a refuelling trip to the nearest gas station and offer you a bunch of candy bars :)

Mau in Austin

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you might enjoy this great clip coupon site : great clip coupon

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I was surfing for target coupon blog when I found your target coupon blog. I think you'll enjoy this target coupon site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home